Monday, May 16, 2011

Guidance for today

Today's reading was so timely, as has been case since I started reading this book.  It begins by saying to seek God as lover and friend of my soul, but also as the sovereign over all.  This is something I have had such a hard time coming to terms with.  Sovereign means above all, in full control.  Then why is it that it seems that He is not or it does not appear to be so.  When I first began to question my faith, this is one of the questions that I really battled with.  In particular, I questioned His sovereignty over human suffering, suffering of innocent children to be exact.  I was learning more about neglected and abused children, particularly sexual abuse.  I had such a hard time praying and seeking God in those days because I was so burdened with the suffering these little ones were going through.  How could I be praying to God who had the power to change it all and didn't?

I know, I know, He is sovereign, but humans have choices and His wisdom is above ours, so don't question it, just accept it.  I couldn't just accept it anymore!  I had to at least be able to question it.  I couldn't continue to pray and worship a God whom I couldn't question.  I couldn't just believe because I was told to believe.  It had to be my faith, deep within my soul, I had to know.  Is he real?  Or as Karl Marx said, the opium of the masses?  Is it that human beings need to believe in something greater to have real meaning in life?


I will share with you, in the coming days,  my journey through those questions.  But for now, let me get back to today's reading. I am sure Sarah Young was not envisioning this interpretation from today's reading, but that's what is great about a book.  You have the freedom to interpret it and let it speak to where you are.


I had a practical 'aha' moment from today's reading.  I woke up overwhelmed by the many things that needed to be done today.  So, this was so timely.  "You can make some plans as you gaze into the day that stretches out before you.  But you need to hold those plans tentatively, anticipating that I may have other ideas.  The most important thing to determine is what to do right now. Instead of scanning the horizon of your life, looking for things that need to be done, concentrate on the task before you..."  how practical!  It goes on the say that this process of taking things one at a time and concentrating on God, will unclutter your mind and draw you close to Him.  Sounds like a plan...now off to doing dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter